Named after Europe’s largest glacier, the Vatnajokull region of Iceland boasts many of the country’s top attractions. The Vatnajokull glacier itself covers ancient volcanoes and is a popular place for trekking, snowmobiling and cross country skiing. At one end of the glacier is the picturesque Jokulsarlon Glacial lagoon, made famous in numerous Hollywood movies. With Skaftafell National Park nearby, you can fill your days with outdoor activities, tour the local museums, or simply gaze in wonder at the beauty of your surroundings. The area also includes Vatnajokull Nationa Park, Europe’s largest, and Hvannadalshnukur, Iceland’s highest peak.
Fly & Drive Package to Vatnajokull region and the south
With Eagle Air’s fly and drive packages, you can now make the most of your limited time in Iceland. Fly with us to Höfn, on the eastern reaches of the south coast, where you can collect your pre-arranged rental car and explore South Iceland and the Vatnajökull region on your own, driving back to Reykjavík at your leisure.
(Or try it the other way around: drive your hire car to Höfn, leave it with us, and fly back to the capital). Read more about our Fly & Drive Package to Vatnajokull region.
Eagle Air can help you arrange any of the following exciting adventures.
- Take an exhilarating boat trip on a fjord with glacial runoff water, then four-wheel drive along the endless Sudurfjorur sand bar.
- Visit the Ingolfshofdi nature reserve and climb the country’s highest peak, Hvannadalshnukur.
- Zigzag between floating icebergs in the picturesque Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon.
- Follow a trained guide up a mountain.
- Ride a specially equipped 4WD super jeep or skidoo along Vatnajokull glacier.
Video of Vatnajökull Region
The Vatnajokull region offers a variety of accommodation options to suit all tastes and budgets
- Hótel Árnanes Country hotel with panoramic view of glaciers and mountains
- Brunnhóll Farm Holidays – Countryside guesthouse with a glacier view.
- Hvammur A friendly guesthouse by the harbour at Hofn.
- Hótel Höfn 3-star hotel in the centre of Hofn with breathtaking view over the glaciers and mountains.
- Hoffell Guesthouse surrounded by spectacular nature.
- Hrollaugsstaðir/Gerði Guesthouse with great location by the main ring road, close to Vatnajokull glacier.
- Hafnarnes Guesthouse in Vatnajokull Region.
- Hólmur Guesthouse near Vatnajokull glacier and glacier lagoon.
- Hótel Jökull / Hótel Edda Hotel Edda is 8 km. west of Hofn and it has a beautiful view of Vatnajokull glacier.
- Hali Guesthouse in the middle of Vatnajokull Region.
- Vagnstaðir Hostel Youth Hostel.
- Smyrlabjörg Farm Holidays - Country hotel located by the ring road near Vatnajokull glacier.
- Camping services at Höfn Camping in Höfn in Hornafjörður.
- Fosshótel Vatnajökull Popular 3-star tourist class hotel.
- Fosshótel Skaftafell 3-star hotel with wonderful panoramic location.
- Svínafell Svinafell offers sleeping bag accommodation in six cottages.
- Skálafell Farm Holidays by the ring road, midway between Hofn and the Glacier Lagoon.
- Frost and Fire Guesthouse located in one of the most beautiful and distinctive parts of Iceland.
- Humarhöfnin - Gastronomy Langoustine Restaurant that specialises in courses made from local food with the main emphasis on lobster/langoustine.
- Ósinn Hótel Höfn Restaurant offering a variety of meals ranging from hamburgers and pizzas to gourmet steaks and lobster feasts.
- Hvammur A friendly guesthouse by the harbour in Hofn.
- Kaffihornið Charming café in the heart of Hofn offering light meals like soups, sandwiches and pasta as well as fish and meat dishes. Variety of coffee and cakes.
- Kokkurinn / The Chef Diverse menu with hamburgers, fish and sandwiches.
- Söluskálinn í Freysnesi Offering petrol, refreshments and a small convenience store.
Experience exciting Day tours in Vatnajökull region
Boattrip on the Glacier lagoon and an ATV excursion in the area of Vatnajökull Glacier.
Daytour to Europe's largest glacier and Glacier lagoon.
Northern Lights in realm
of Vatnajokull Glacier
Experience the northern lights in the stunning area of Vatnajokull Glacier and Glacier Lagoon.
Take an overnight trip to experience the wonders of the legendary Vatnajökull Glacier.