Northern Lights On Your Own
Explore this unique phenomena in the area of Lake Mývatn and North east Iceland.
Fly to the friendly town of Húsavík where you will pick up a rental car at the airport. When picking up the car you will get information of the area and the places that are worth to visit. Your hotel will be at Lake Myvatn where you can just walk out side the Hotel door to witness the stunning Northern lights dancing in the sky. During the nights the hotel offers wake up calls when northern lights can be seen.
Flight to Húsavík. At Húsavík airport you will get the keys of a 4-wheel drive car, some information and a map of the area and you will be ready for some exploration on your own.
Mývatn area is one of Iceland’s most popular tourist destination and is renowned for its naturale beauty. This mystical area with its magnificent landscape and rich animal and bird life makes people wants to visit it, observe and explore.
Interesting places to visit
- Hverarönd (Hverir) by Námafjall: an expanse of ever-changing hot springs located at the foot of a spectacular volcanic mountain.
- Dettifoss: a waterfall that boasts the greatest volume of any waterfall in Europe; five hundred cubic metres of water per second plunges over its edge. Dettifoss is 45 m high and 100 m wide. We can arrange a superjeep to take you through this magnificent place in the case that the road is closed due to snow. That service is charged extra.
- Dimmuborgir (Dark Castles): an area of randomly strewn lava rocks and cliffs. Dimmuborgir is a place of surprises with its myriad of forms, small caves and towering volcanic rock formations pierced by natural apertures.
- Skútustaðagígar: craters that were formed by gas explosions when boiling lava flowed over the wetlands. The craters are a very popular and are protected as part of a natural wetlands conservation area. Skútustaðagígar are located just next to the hotel.
- Sigurgeir's Bird Centre: the largest known private bird collection in Iceland.
- Lake Mývatn nature baths: Iceland’s newest geothermal spa. Great way to relax in the evening and watch the dancing northern lights
Departure for a flight back to Reykjavík.
- Return flight to Húsavík
- Rental car: 4WD Scoda Octavia or similar with unlimited mileage and insurances (CDW and theft waiver)
- Hotel in in Lake Mývatn area for two nights (dbl. room)
Adult € 750
Child (11 yrs and under) € 375
Departure: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday
Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
Season: October - April
Note: Price is based on two people travelling together
Book your tour with Eagle Air Iceland